23 January 2011

Coromandel - Thames

I had been a little nervous about Ruby being away in a very different environment for two nights and so was keen to get back to both my babies. (sorry kids). We had more to do as we had been hearing very good things about a cafe at Driving Creek by the railway north of town.

We arrived to a very peaceful and inviting place. This cafe is vegetarian without advertising that it is. I have never, repeat, never had such fabulous French toast. The flavours were incredible and I missed my bacon..not a bit!! The coffee was great the story of how the cafe came to be very interesting. I am wishing it was closer to where I am now so I could repeat the eating experience. That Good!!! We found it hard to leave and spent a while browsing the second hand books too.

Back to Waiomu to find the kids still in the water and not keen to leave in the early afternoon. So we went into Thames to do Cocos Cafe on Pollen St. White throughout and black furniture. Visually interesting and great coffee. We had stopped on our way through the other day and tried the food so it was not an issue that it was all gone on arrival today. We had a nice chat and then up to Grafton Cottages where we were staying for the night.

Grafton Cottages are set high on the hill behind Thames and have a veiw that is fantastic. We had the grand tour and this place is one that is able to cater for large groups in 6 self contained cottages. We gleaned some local knowledge and spotted the swmming pool and spa that would be great to use as lures for the kids to come back and stay the night with us.

Back to Waiomu for the kids and then into the fish n chips down at the wharf for dinner. Beautiful. It was so lovely to spend some time with Mika as I have really missed him. He is my heart along with my girl. All too soon it was time for bed which would only bring the morning and time to leave him for another week. Sometimes it sucks being a mum.

No comments: