20 January 2010

The first write up - Vivettes

Everyone says that the place to be seen for the cool things around Auckland is the Heralds Viva on Wednesdays. Where do I want to be….in Viva. So among the other media releases is the one to Amanda the Viva editor. Sent off with a bit of a blessing, this is the one I want. Next thing I know I have Amanda on the phone looking for photos to put with a blurb about the book. She loves it and is ‘hoping to have it in the next couple of weeks’. Those who know me know that my ability to stay in the moment is not so crash hot.

So immediately, in opposition to what I know is most sensible, I tell just a couple of people that we are likely to be in Viva this week. Up at six on Wednesday as the rest of the house snores I head down to the supermarket to see our lovely write up. I don’t even make it out of the shop before I am trawling the pages looking for a photo and a full page spread…….or not. By the time I talk to Matthew I have worked myself into full blown depression (not clinical), with a large dollap of ‘I wish I’d kept my mouth shut’. The ‘couple’ of people I told let me know they looked and didn’t find in Viva. Where is that large rock to crawl under.

The lesson here is to stay in the moment and let go of expectation and attachment to certain outcomes. I moved on and lo and behold the following week Andrew at Dymocks in Ponsonby (my favourite bookselling man) is ringing for more books as the write up in Viva has driven some sales. Hold the world with an open palm; it leaves room for what you want to land.





Niki

No comments: