26 December 2010

Saturday 25th and Sunday 26th December

It’s the day after Xmas and it has been nice to catch up with my brother and his wife from Australia. Yet it also feels a little weird as only some of us are around for Xmas, and we don’t have the official family lunch, Niki and I are having these on the 30th, me in Christchurch and Niki in Auckland. We spent the afternoon at Hagley park, walking around and Ruby playing in the paddling pool. It was nice to see so many people having picnics and enjoying the sun. That night before Niki goes back for a few days we are treated to what Cantabrians have been experiencing for months, a short earthquake. It hits about 2 am and the first jolt wakes me up. The next three become a little disturbing, and by early afternoon on Boxing day I have experienced another two, one that almost knocked cups off the shelf. For those who haven’t been in an earthquake before, imagine there is a train inside your house, travelling at around 60 mph, rumbling loudly and shaking everything close to it. Well, if you take the sound of the actual train out of the equation then this is pretty much what it is like. I can even hear it rumble off into the distance. This is one event I don’t think a photo can capture.

Over the next few days I plan to do some much needed reading, hopefully the tremors will dissipate. I have a book on photography that I would love to get into; having taken over 5000 photos I feel some reflection on technique is due...

No comments: