6 December 2010

Saturday 4th December - Day 18

Great to be back in my other home, Queenstown. I have know the people here for over twenty years or so and there is nothing like not having to explain.
After 17 days together in close quarters both Matthew and I needed some time without the lovely short people (yes I know Ethan is taller than me). So Matthew headed out with Andy to do menly manly things at placemakers and in the process had a look at a cafe in a container called Smoko Run. I am yet to see it but the owner has a long and successful history in the cafe business so it is sure to be good. By the time they got back I was a little stir crazy and Matthew took the kids to the pool while Andy took me to Provisions in Arrowtown for coffee. I notice a theme to the one often at the Cafe...Andy. Fantastic food, location, service, coffee, the lot.
We were joined by a few friends for an impromptu catch up and slowly the gritted teeth relaxed and I felt a belonging that I don't feel in any other place in New Zealand. The problem is now, yet again, I want to come back and life conspires to keep me away. I feel many a conversation coming on.
Today was the day for the annual old friend christmas get together and completely unplanned I was lucky enough to go. Every one is older and wiser and much better looking than we were all those years ago. The drinking was no longer a main feature and it was more about whose child is doing what and how life has moved on. Much fun...much later than I am now used to and I was well and truely ready for bed on arrival home. Matthew had kindly offered to be babysitter to the masses and I believe he was pleased to pass on the mantle as we returned. No work today, nice.

No comments: