17 December 2010

Thursday 17th December

Big day ahead today. I wanted to visit the homes of my grandparents and we had to get to Lake Ohau in time for dinner with a number of cafes on the way. We had packed up most things the night before and were planning on an early departure. Wrong. Mika had made me a lovely necklace at school and it is my favourite piece of jewellery ever. I had to take it off at the chocolate factory and I thought I had put it in my bag but was unable to find it. So most of the time before 10 was spent looking and ringing every place we had been since I took it off. Not a happy girl. Where did I find it? In the bag that had been looked in three times which is where I had remembered putting it in the first place. Not a great start to the day.
Off we went to Waimea Ave to see my maternal grandparents home that I remember well. It looked exactly the same apart from not being quite as manicured as they kept it. Great memories. The whanau dutifully looked and listened and were thrilled when I said we were off for more remembering in Port Chalmers. I found the house where my Dad was raised and the pensioner flats that my Nana lived in until she died.
We had to do a Port Cafe and luckily there was a good one in the Port Royale. Sharon owns it with her partner and we had some great food and coffee while discussing things bi-cultural. Who would have guessed that conversation would eventuate there. Matthew was most amused as it seems I can have that conversation everywhere.
Time to leave the memories or so I thought and we made our way north. Up to Oamaru where I happened to be born and through to the Cuisene Restaurant of the year, Riverstone Kitchen. It took a while to commit to covering this place as to distinguish between cafe and restaurant is important. Our measure is can you walk in and get a coffee and something to eat that is not neccessarily a meal, yes you can. So we did and it was beautiful, slick and beautiful. We didn't eat much even though it was lunch time as feeding the whanau here would be a little too pricey. So we caried on and very hungry landed at the Duntroon Hotel. We had burgers and played pool. My mum and dad had moved here when they first married and with dad away at work all day I am surprised my Mum survived, pretty bleak. On through Kurow where my sister was born, Otemetata where my brother was born and I had covered this generations birthplaces in a matter of hours.
This was turning out to be a very long day and we were looking forward to making it to Lake Ohau Ski Lodge. I was driving and keeping my eyes open for a cafe called Kahu that my friend Mick had recommended. It is at the gliding centre in Omarama and on arrival the stress of the day just disappeared. Under a covered deck were coloured paper lanterns, comfy couches, cool drinks and a welcome. Lana played go fish with Ruby and there was much giggling. I loved watching my girl have such fun. Matthew got some great shots and we were happy to just be. Time moved on and I realised the lodge may be waiting for us for dinner. Lucky I rang as dinner is at 7. We made it just in time.
More memories as I drove the fantastic road in to the Ohau Ski Lodge as I had been driven so many times before with Contiki. Best rollacoaster road I've ever been on.
We were greeted by Jock who would have been 13 or so when I last saw him. He has the same flair for hospitality as his mum and dad Louise and Mike, and we all felt right at home. The dinner was sublime and made all the better for not having to do dishes or cook it ourselves. After travelling hard out for so long it has been great to have a base that feels a little like home. I set to washing and ironing the lovely Moa dresses for the photoshoot then into a bed I may have slept in before for a good nights sleep.

No comments: