3 October 2011

Defining a project

I have to pick a subject and make 10 images of exhibition quality. This is the brief, and by Friday I have to be able to do a 5 to 10 minute talk on it. So the first step is to define what are the restrictions to the project. For me over the next six weeks there is even less time than before. I have to look after kids on the weekend and my time is very precious. This places a restriction on distance. I don't have the luxury of going very far to take the shots. I take another look down at Wynard Quarter but am not really inspired by anything there. Also I am concerned with my ability to be able to spend enough time there.

I think about what I would like to do, and my feeling is to do portraits, it will challenge me and is an area I have done very little in.  I think about getting a sitter, but it becomes clear that this will have it challenges.

Finally I accept that my photography will have to be within the house, so I look at my family, do I want to photography them, I realise I don't. Then I remember the old dolls that Ruby was given by my mum. I borrow them and take some shots.


With the right lighting and some unusual props just maybe I could make a series on dolls. Something a little different. I wonder if anyone does doll photography

No comments: