11 October 2011

Studio stress

On Saturday I went and picked up a few more dolls and was ready for my studio time at 2pm. I had to get the camera on Friday so I had some time to look at it Friday.

I had a formula. shoot each doll with a white backdrop. Use only two lights, a snoot for focused highlights,and a box for the soft diffused. For each doll I would make sure I captured the parts that were most striking. Each doll had its own story to tell.

I arrived early at the studio to find it open and empty. I started to setup and found that the tether cable was missing, but the camera case had one so i was still good to go. I took almost an hour to get the lights right, the tripod right, capture one working and a process that would work for shooting around 10 dolls. More involved than I thought it would be.

But it wasn't long before I was in flow of things and I started to see that each doll had a history, and this reflected in their personality. Some were timid, others brash, and some with odd mannerisms. Yes if it seems that I got a little involved you would be right (I can see how people get into the fetish side of dolls).

But the important thing to remember is that each doll told a story of its owner, so really what I was doing is a portrait of the owners life as it is reflected in the doll. It was a fun exercise and I would love to do more, so having my own studio is definately on the cards. The ability to be able to control the light, and take your time with the shot is appealing and I would like to do more.

I finished on time at 5pm only to find the Mac dilema, you can't copy to PC formatted hard drives, so it took to Monday to get the images.

Here are three of my favourite images




No comments: