4 October 2011

More Doll website research

Thanks to my ever supportive tutor I have another website to look at. So now I have three photographers and here is where I will show ten images from each. I have picked these three because they all have images with dolls or play with the concept of fashion and what is beautiful.

I will start with the first photographer I came across Mariel Clayton. The images I have selected show here subversive nature, but also her ability to set a scene and then photograph it. Every images has a story behind, a play on the roles that women play in society.

Her website is http://www.thephotographymarielclayton.com and I absolutely love the opening image, who is hanging themselves.











Of course the girl with the milk - is she a breather or non-breather


My next photographer is Laurie Simmons. I picked her because of the elegance of the shots, and a Japanese feel. Some of the images it is very difficult to tell that it is a doll, again a play on beauty, remember the saying "she's such a doll".












I love the girl, sorry doll, jumping over the wall, an everyday thing that a young girl, sorry doll, would do.

My last photographer is Petrina Hicks, an Australian photographer. Although she doesn't have the amount of the doll photos that the previous two do, she still plays on the idea of fashion, and fashion norms.












From the beauty of the barking dog, to a child that is so small and doll like. The image of the woman's face with long black hair is striking because of her beauty. I can appreciate her beauty, but it makes me wonder what is it that I see that tell me she is a breather. skin tone, the eyes..

Photographing dolls, and making them in some way beautiful, and yet with something a little different is my challenge. These photographers have raised the bar for me and I hope I can do them justice.

No comments: