22 August 2011

The long Edit

On the weekend I took around 30 photos of a coffee cup. It is white and has a nice curve to it, but nothing that special. I wanted to see if I could capture something of the essence and style of drinking a cup of coffee. I shot in the morning and I shot in the late afternoon. I only used natural light and in hindsight having some diffused light to capture the gold crema of the coffee would have really helped. I would like to think I managed to capture a sense of form that that is representative of the art of coffee.

It took me two hours to edit these and I wanting to do this process a different way to how I normally do it. Normally I would go through and remove the ones I didn't like, ones that were similar, and from the rest put together a montage. But I decided rather than the subtractive approach I would pick ones that I thought would go together until I had a series. This I then turned into a collection (easy in lightroom). I repeated this process until there was only two images left that didn't belong to a collection.

So I ended up with four groups of images, and I like how the process works.