23 August 2011

My latest research

I have just finished reading the book called Photography in 100 Words by David Clark. It is a book showcasing 50 famous photographers. Each photograph as some text about the photo and key words that the author thinks symbolise the photographer. It was great to see photos in print rather than on the screen. Some of the photos are absolutely amazing and part of my process was to deconstruct them and see what made them a good photo. Look for the elements of the photo before I read about it. This has been a great learning and has helped my objectivity to no end.

Here are some of the pages from the book.


Charlie Waite - geometry, dialog, design, discipline.

I love this is it is about noticing your surroundings and making that extra effort. See the rings around the trunks where the water has been. he waited for 30 minutes for the water level to drop. I would not have even noticed it.


Nadav Kander - celbrate melancholy, uneasy, reaction.

This image he shot at night over a 20 minute exposure. While he was shooting it the owners came home and he chatted to them. I love the mood to it





Ralph Gibson - instinctive, signature, subtractive, patience

I love this as it is a cafe table and this is something I have shot so many times but never in this light, the sense of grace and simplicity makes it an image I strive to be able to do.


I am finding that I look at photos in a different light now (excuse the pun) I am able to look at the technical aspects, but also look at what are the elements that make it work, and why has the photographer done what they have done...

No comments: