1 August 2011

Weekend Light


I decided to shoot the grave yard in late afternoon, having become excited about what I had just read in my photography book Within the Frame. Instead of looking through the viewfinder at the image I am about to photography I look at the elements in the frame. Do they all need to be there, are they telling a story…

Wow the difference is quite amazing and showed me how much I fill in what I see because I am looking at what the am “deciding” to shoot, not a collection of elements in a frame that tell a story. Work to be done on my story telling, and I think I will start with the handbag.

Early start, on the roadside with my tripod and ready to take the shot at 6:45am. I need a 30 second exposure but at about 24 seconds a car drives past and blows it. The next is spot on and the blue is beautiful, a sereneness that is captivating. I thought early morning was only good for sunrises, but I have learnt something new.

For the rest of the day I take shots about every two hours, and get to see how the light changes. By the last shot at night I have seen the spectrum of change, how a green tinge can be seen under certain light, or blue. Light and shadow play their part to creating the photo. Tomorrow it is framing.


No comments: