28 August 2011

Overnight kimono

Thursday afternoon we get a still life shoot again, and after shooting the coffee cup I wanted something with more colour. That afternoon when I got home I looked around the house and finally decided on the wedding kimono that was a gift to my father. It is big, beautiful, with lovely gold and orange colour throughout. I have often wondered how I could photograph it and do it justice. I decided to try close up and capture different aspects of the designs, predominately the cranes. The afternoon sun is great in the bedroom so I lay it on the bed and spent the next hour shooting it.

The next day is when the problems came. My Achilles heal is being able to edit. Add to this that I had to put four images together into a grid it wasn't long before I got lost with trying to decide on what looked best. I was running out to time to finish so ended up with a group of four that I felt was just safe, but not really inspiring.

So over the weekend I picked another four images, cropped, and tried to figure out how I could play around with them in lightroom to get the grid the way I wanted it. I finally decided on creating a page that I could move around what image was where, and this is the result.






2 comments:

Meighan Ellis said...

Succinct and succulent- you're up and away now...

Anonymous said...

cool pics, lovely colours!!