29 August 2011

Looking for community

I forgot to mention the last object from the image by Seung Woo Back, almost hidden from view is the metal frame of what might be a kids swing or see-saw, an object that symbolises children and families.

But on to another photographer that I came across. I had a name written in my notebook, I think Grit had given to me but I am not sure. The photographers name is Will Govus and luckily he had a website and a blog. I couldn't find out a lot about him but I liked his outdoor shots, it reminded me of our road trip around New Zealand. One photo in particular caught my eye, and symbolised those fantastic family community times we had travelling.



The image can be found at the following website http://willgovus.com/fatoftheland.html
The photographer is Will Govus and this image is under the Fat of the Land (2010) section .

The camp fire symbolises an object that people meet around, it has a sense of intimacy and builds a sense of communion, and hence community.

The couches seem almost out of place yet they also symbolise an object that people meet on. All families have a couch where they can meet to talk, watch TV, and be with each other. Yet in this image the couch is in nature, and like the soldier photo seems out of place. Not only this but in the back ground are the city lights, so the sense of nature, the outback around the camp fire is disrupted by the proximity of the city community.

It was often like this when we were on the road trip, there were times when we were a small community, in the wilderness, cocooned in our car, yet just around the corner was a larger community of a town, or a city.


No comments: