3 September 2011

Art exhibition at Webb Gallery

Reading the paper I came across a photo which lead me to discover Alfred Gregory, a professional photographer whose work was being exhibited at the Webb Gallery in Newmarket. I did some research about who he was and went and saw his photos at the gallery.

He was part of the Hillary expedition to climb mount Everest and he became the photographer. I read an article in the Times online and these words that Alfred said resonate with me "Here I had a first hint that I was moving away from the pictorial approach to landscape photography, especially in monochrome, and I began to see this story as one of dark against light, of black shapes of men moving slowly, very slowly, towards the summit.”


I could imagine him trying to use film in such an inhospitable place and the difficulties he must have faced. And yet he did some some absolutely beautiful photos. Can you imagine how much work went into getting to this location to create this environmental portrait...



No comments: