16 September 2011

Reading Paul Strand

I have just finished reading a book on Paul Strand. The book is called Paul Strand and tells about the photographer along with his photos. All the photos are in black and white and all have a simple honesty to them. Strand lived from 1911 to 1976 and it is fascinating to read about him. Especially some of the letters he wrote to his colleagues in photography, such as Alfred Stieglitz. After reading through the book I got a real sense of his desire to make his photos the best they could be, he saw the art of photography as being a pure one and it was his job to use the tools to capture this purity.



I highly recommend reading the book, seeing the images in screen does not do them justice.

I would like to think that at some point people might say "he reminds me of the beauty that Paul Strand captured". That would be a nice complement.

No comments: