16 September 2011

The interesting Duane Michals

For something completely different I got the book out called How Photography Lost its Virginity on the way to the Bank. The title intrigued me and I love the photographs that Duane Michals makes. It is an interesting book of odd photos, sayings, captions that tell the tale of the tension between art and money.




It made me think about how one can be caught up in being recognised, and the money that goes with it, versus the desire to make something artistic. With writing books there is always a tension between what the publisher wants, and what I want to write.

Tension seems to be a good topic to focus on over the  holidays. I think I will take some time to make portraits, and see how well I can capture tension withing them. This can be my self set assignment.

No comments: